Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Backpacks of Hope

I think Jesus had it right when he said, real leaders serve. That is one of the quotes I learned at SLU (Student Leadership University), and also I believe it’s one of the best quotes for leaders to know. Serving is the main reason that the Shiloh Leadership Team did the project, Carrying Hope to NWA. Our mission was to sell 200 backpacks for 15 dollars each. Each person that sponsored a backpack would then pray over the backpack for the child that would receive it resulting in 200 prayers. Then it was our turn to reach 200 children by bringing them backpacks full of school supplies. We went out on August 15, 2009 to two different sites in Springdale, AR. We started at about 10:30am; not only did we give out backpacks we were an alarm for many people that day. Children ran out in their pajamas to get their backpacks, their sleepy eyes looking at the four color choices trying to decide which backpack that they should get. Parents also came out to share their gratitude. I remember going up to one lady and asking if she had a child who needed a backpack. “Oh yes, a baby blue one, she replied, “That’s her favorite color, she will be so excited!” I gave her a smile and she went on to say that she didn’t know how they were going to manage purchasing school supplies this year until we came along. All I could think of was how the Lord really does provide. Which is a lesson that we all must learn, God always gives us what we need. This time the need was a backpack for a little girl, and that backpack also was a reminder to us on how he has a plan for us. One mother told us that we could never understand how much it meant to her children to have school supplies, and I think she is right. Even though I can’t understand what those children were thinking I could see it. It was the joy in their faces and the sparkle in their eyes, the happiness in their laugh when they came back to show us the water bottles that were attached to their backpack. That made it all worth it, because when you give hope to people you will most likely get hope back for yourself. I know I did, all because of a simple service project which led to 200 backpacks, 200 prayers and hopefully 200 lives changed by the love of Jesus Christ. This project not only helped my team follow the beginning of our church’s mission statement, to reach NW Arkansas with the gospel, it also got us involved with the community. Our school, Shiloh Christian School is focusing this year on loving thy neighbor and this project kicked off the beginning of a new tradition for the Saints to love on NW Arkansas.
By Tracey Mardis